Rhoda Grant MSP and David Stewart MSP (Highlands & Islands Region)
Parliamentary Caseworker – Based in Stornoway
The post of Parliamentary Caseworker is an interesting and varied appointment based in our regional office in Stornoway.
The post holder will be the first point of contact with local constituents and will be required to have good communication skills. The successful candidate will be expected to obtain information in relation to casework arising out of issues/concerns raised by constituents, conduct research and then progress enquiries by utilisation of the caseworker system.
The ideal applicant will be well organised, flexible, self-motivated, a good team player and able to work on their own initiative.
They will have demonstrable basic research skills along with strong written and oral communication skills.
Some knowledge and understanding of the Scottish media is desirable along with some experience of working with journalists.
They will need an awareness of the Scottish political scene, be IT literate and have experience of new media, including website content management.
Salary will be £21,633 per annum (pro rata) rising by increments to £23,673.
Hours are 17.5 per week.
Holiday entitlement is 30 days per annum (pro rata).
Closing date is 5pm on 17th December.
Successful candidates will be interviewed early in January 2019.
Unsuccessful candidates will be notified.
To apply, send a copy of your CV, along with a single A4 page supporting statement, demonstrating how you meet the requirements set out above to David Stewart MSP at firstname.lastname@example.org or to: David Stewart MSP, 3 Gordon Terrace,Inverness,IV2 3HD.
Informal queries may be directed to David Stewart MSP or the Manager, Douglas Mackenzie at the above address. Telephone contact 01463 716299.
As an employer we are committed to promoting equality of opportunity and treatment and to eliminating unfair discrimination in our employment practices.
Person Specification Job Title – Parliamentary Caseworker
Responsibilities will include:
- Gathering rapid, accurate and detailed information in relation to casework and other issues locally for inputting and progression via the caseworker system.
- Assist in the preparation and delivering of briefings and updates for the MSP to assist in the preparation of speeches and Parliamentary Questions.
- Assist in the preparation of press releases and have ability to undertake other media responsibilities.
- Assist in the drafting of letters to interest groups and responding to enquiries, as required.
- Liaising with other elected representatives in the constituency and beyond and with colleagues in the Scottish Parliament and elsewhere.
- Liaising with internal and external groups. Arranging appointments and diary management. Deputising for MSPs at meetings with groups or individuals.
- Other duties in support of the MSP carrying out their parliamentary duties as required.
KEY SKILLS AND COMPETENCE ESSENTIAL
- Some knowledge and understanding of different research methods
- Knowledge and understanding of the Scottish political scene
- Flexible approach with the ability to work unsupervised whilst working as part of a small team
- Proven communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong organisational skills
- The ability to form and nurture effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- IT literate with a good working knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlookpackages
- Local knowledge
- Understanding of local issues